- Railroads began serving the area of Buxahatchie.
- Plantation owner Ninian Tannehill brought furnace master Moses Stroup in as a partner on his bloomery forge in Roupes Valley.
- Attorney Rufus Cobb was admitted to the bar.
- John T. McCormick, then William P. Reeves became Shelby County Sheriff.
- May 18: Charles Ferguson
- August 25: Russell Cunningham
- October 22: Maurice Throckmorton
- November 7: William Jelks
- Joseph Turner
- John Drish residence tower addition
In 1855, the Taiping Rebellion continued. Sir Henry Bessemer patented the "Bessemer process" for the mass-production of steel from molten pig iron. Alexander II became Emperor of Russia. The Mount Sinai Hospital opened. The Daily Telegraph began publication. David Livingstone became the first European to see Victoria Falls.
Notable births in 1855 razor inventor King Camp Gillett, firearm designer John Browning, adding machine inventor William Seward Burroughs I, astronomer Percival Lowell, baseball player Hardy Richardson, and meteorologist Léon Teisserenc de Bort. Notable deaths included scientist Carl Friedrich Gauss, Nicholas I of Russia, Bowery Boys gang member William Poole, author Charlotte Brontë, and naturalist William John Swainson.
|<< 1850 1851 1852 1853 1854 1855 1856 1857 1858 1859 >>|
|Births - Deaths - Establishments - Events - Works|