December 5 in the history of the Birmingham District:
- 2012: Dave's Pizza owner Dave Morrison died in Vestavia Hills.
- 2007: Former Birmingham City Council member Don MacDermott pleaded guilty to receiving and possessing child pornography.
- 2006: The Birmingham Christmas parade was held in Kelly Ingram and Linn Parks.
- 2005: Pastor Ocie Burton died.
- 2003: The Wyatt v. Stickney case regarding the state's treatment of mental patients was dismissed.
- 1976: Public radio station WBHM went on the air.
- 1974: The Birmingham Americans defeated the Florida Blazers 22-21 in the WFL's World Bowl at Legion Field.
- 1960: Hugo Black wrote the decision in the Supreme Court case of Boynton v. Virginia, establishing federal regulation of accommodations for interstate passengers.
- 1837: State representative Shandy Jones married Evalina Love.