February 17 in the history of the Birmingham District:
- 2013: Mario Macias of Colorado won the Mercedes Marathon with a record time of 2:18:48.
- 2008: The Parliament House was imploded.
- 1971: Birmingham City Councilor Lashunda Scales was born.
- 1963: Michael Jordan was born in Brooklyn, New York.
- 1963: Vulcan's torch began signaling heart disease deaths rather than traffic fatalities for a week to support the Heart Fund Drive.
- 1941: Construction of the USS Birmingham (CL-62) began.
- 1940: Journalist and author Wayne Greenhaw was born in Sheffield, Colbert County.
- 1925: Coming Through premiered in New York City.
- 1921: Elyton Land Company general manager Willis Milner died.
- 1922: Baseball player Ed Chandler was born in Pinson.
- 1904: John Frye opened the Traders National Bank in Birmingham.
- 1899: Football coach Peahead Walker was born in Birmingham.
- 1763: Creek Indian leader Alexander McGillivary died.