January 2 in the history of the Birmingham District:
- 2013: WJOX-FM became a CBS Sports Radio affiliate.
- 2012: J & M Child Development Center on Bessemer Road was damaged by arson.
- 2012: McCormick & Schmick's at Brookwood Village closed.
- 2012: North Shelby Fire and Emergency Medical District chief Michael O'Connor died.
- 2011: Former ONB director Bill Ricker died.
- 2011: Bethel Metropolitan Community Church closed.
- 2008: Rock band Moses Mayfield announced it was breaking up.
- 2007: Dixon & Willoughby went on the air at a station in Orlando.
- 2003: Attorney David Cromwell Johnson died.
- 2002: Truck driver Tim Dyson died in an accident at Malfunction Junction.
- 1999: Shelia Smoot married Robert Ward, Jr.
- 1973: The Irondale Cafe reopened under new owners.
- 1949; Birmingham Board of Education president Phyllis Wyne was born.
- 1947: The Club was incorporated.
- 1919: Judge John Hearst Miller died in Birmingham.
- 1919: A rare snowfall brought 5.5 inches to Birmingham.
- 1873: The National Bank of Birmingham opened to the public.
- 1848: The Alabama Legislature authorized a Geological Survey of Alabama with Michael Tuomey as State Geologist.