October 23 in the history of the Birmingham District:
- 2006: Fairfield police officer Mary Smith was killed in the line of duty.
- 1991: NBA basketball player Eric Bledsoe was born in Birmingham.
- 1946: The "neon popsicle" traffic safety light was affixed to Vulcan's spear.
- 1942: Catholic priest and former Cathedral Church of the Advent dean Larry Gipson was born.
- 1933: The Birmingham Symphony Association was incorporated.
- 1920: The 9th International Balloon Race came to Birmingham.
- 1915: Henry Edmonds resigned as pastor of the South Highland Presbyterian Church.
- 1903: Alabama won the Iron Bowl 18-6 in Montgomery.