Stag Saloon

From Bhamwiki
Revision as of 11:48, 19 January 2021 by Dystopos (talk | contribs)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
1904 advertisement for the Stag Saloon

The Stag Saloon, also called Rensford Brothers, was a bar operated at 225 20th Street North, on the southeast corner of 3rd Avenue North, on the site of the former B. F. Cheek drug store. It was operated by Tom Rensford and his brother. An adjoining restaurant was operated by William Fidger.

In addition to wine, rye whiskies, liquor, cigars and tobacco, the business offered a "merchant's lunch" on weekdays. The storefront "attracted considerable attention" one night in October 1918, with the installation of "a painted noble stag... illuminated by electricity, alternately in red, white and blue."

The building in which the saloon was operated was demolished in the 1920s for construction of the Porter Clothing Co. building.