Birmingham Tank Company
The Birmingham Tank Company fabricated storage tanks, plate, ductwork, steel stacks and other products from carbon steel, stainless steel and polyethylene from their plant at 6661 Gadsden Highway in Trussville.
The company was founded in North Birmingham and was one of the first companies to use an all-welded process of tank construction. It was acquired by Ingalls Iron Works Company in 1924 and operated as a separate division.
The plant was targeted in a labor strike in 1946.
A company history written in the 1960s described the North Birmingham Plant: "This wholly-owned and operated Ingalls facility specializes in the fabrication of custom designed platework and a full line of standard storage tanks. Regular production includes steel platework for pressure and code vessels; bins; hoppers; bunkers; stacks; breeching; blast furnaces and similar facilities of plate construction."
- The Ingalls Companies: Steel, Skill and Service, 1978. Birmingham: Ingalls Iron Works Company