Miller, Martin & Lewis Architects

From Bhamwiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Miller, Martin & Lewis Architects was a partnership of architects John Miller and Hugh Martin along with engineer James A. Lewis. Miller and Martin had met in New York City and traveled together to open the firm of Miller and Martin in the booming city of Birmingham around 1900. Lewis joined the firm in 1914.

In 1904 the company's offices were located in the Hood Building on the corner of 3rd Avenue North and 20th Street.

Miller, Martin & Lewis was responsible for numerous important buildings in Birmingham as well as dozens of buildings on the campus of the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa. In Birmingham one of their important patrons was the Robert Munger family, who commissioned several commercial buildings at Five Points South and made large donations to Birmingham-Southern College which resulted in additional work for the firm.

Miller retired in 1930, but Martin and Lewis kept his name on the firm, saying that, "the real foundations of the firm's practice were his responsibility, and should be his credit." Edwin McCowan joined the firm in 1940. Martin retired in 1952, and Lewis died in 1958, ending the firm's long reign. McCowan subsequently partnered with William Knight and continued to practice as McCowan & Knight into the 1970s.

Notable projects

Lakeview Clubhouse, 1908
Farley building, 1909
Bromberg's building, 1946