North Birmingham Library

From Bhamwiki
Revision as of 15:26, 3 August 2022 by Robert Matthews (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

The North Birmingham Regional Branch Library is a regional branch of the Birmingham Public Library located at 2501 31st Avenue North in North Birmingham.

The branch was established in 1926 and was the first branch library in Birmingham to be constructed specifically by the Birmingham Public Library Board and City of Birmingham, rather than being annexed into the system from a formerly independent municipality. The building was repaired and repainted under the auspices of the Civil Works Administration during the Great Depression.

In the 1970s the Alabama Public Library System sponsored a program to provide library services to blind and disabled patrons. Jefferson County's service center for the blind was housed at the North Birmingham Library.

The current 14,000 square-foot library building was constructed in 1994 and opened on October 2 of that year.

External links