Smithfield Court is a public housing project operated by the Housing Authority of the Birmingham District located at 150 8th Avenue North in the Smithfield neighborhood of the Smithfield community between A.H. Parker High School and Legion Field. Construction commenced in 1935 after six blocks of existing housing were demolished to clear the site. Building was complete by 1937 with the aid of WPA funding as part of Franklin D. Roosevelt’s New Deal. When complete, 81 one and two story, brick buildings would provide affordable residence for 544 low-income families. Currently, this project contains 456 low-income units.
- Jackson, Harvey H. (2000) The WPA Guide to 1930s Alabama Tuscaloosa: University of Alabama Press, pp. 168-169. ISBN 0817310282